Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Microsoft to Pull the Plug on VB6 Support

I came across a news article that said M$FT was beginning to phase out support for VB6.

I'm not sure quite how I feel about this. On the one hand, I prefer working in (VB and ASP) .Net. On the other hand, I'm somewhat surprised that M$FT is phasing this out so soon (c'mon people, haven't you ever heard of legacy code?). On the gripping hand, I currently spend about 75% of my time supporting a VB6/ASP legacy app.

I signed up for the petition. I think M$FT's policy is intended to force developers and employers to move to .Net. Given the (IIRC) lack of service packs, I'm not too worried about this, but I think it behooves M$FT to better support the developers who write the apps that convince the public/companies to buy the OS. You can't have a Microsoft without a lot of hard cash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home