Monday, September 13, 2004

Game Development Status

As of 13 September, my monthly total is about 19 hours and I have 277 hours for the year. Whew!

I am currently working on the Cavalry charge code for the AI. This evening I completed a first draft of the charge plotting code and did some testing. The results were not too bad: I got my AI cav unit to plot a charge. No, really, you could see it on the screen! Unfortunately the charge did not seem to be executed.

My next task is to refactor the executeCharges() code in the game exec. I started looking at the code, and quickly realized a refactoring was the only way to be sure. Or maybe pull back and nuke the site from orbit. The function is over 1000 lines of code, with validation code mixed in with execution code and code for morale checks, carre realization, recall, etc. mixed inline with the charge code.

Incidentally, I have been doing a lot of refactoring in the exec and elsewhere. I eliminated 600 lines of code by reworking the CArtillery::CalculateModFireValue() last night.

We'll get there, it's only a matter of time!


Post a Comment

<< Home