Friday, February 27, 2004

I took the Dante's Inferno Test today...I do like to eat:

The Dante's Inferno Test has banished you to the Third Level of Hell!
Here is how you matched up against all the levels:
Purgatory (Repenting Believers)Very Low
Level 1 - Limbo (Virtuous Non-Believers)Moderate
Level 2 (Lustful)Moderate
Level 3 (Gluttonous)Very High
Level 4 (Prodigal and Avaricious)Low
Level 5 (Wrathful and Gloomy)Moderate
Level 6 - The City of Dis (Heretics)Low
Level 7 (Violent)Moderate
Level 8- the Malebolge (Fraudulent, Malicious, Panderers)Moderate
Level 9 - Cocytus (Treacherous)Low

Take the Dante's Inferno Hell Test

Wednesday, February 25, 2004

Game Dev Status

monthly total 28 hours 53 minutes; 2004 yearly total 46 hours 08 minutes

Things are definitely heating up. I completed the integration work between the high level and low level AIs over the weekend. I was able to do this in the absence of an integrated build by using parts of the scripted AI developed for (and during) last Origins.

The AI Moved!

The AI created movement order for its units according to the plan it generated. It was very cool to see IV/2nd Division come up from the south after a few turns.

I also created the first of a series of stripped-down test databases to help me tune the AI. This first database is a version of the Opening Moves scenario that pits IV/2 against the Russian 8th Division.

This evening I put in a debug feature to turn of limited intelligence, so I could see where the AI was moving. This is going to be damned useful. Already I find my self able to get a lot more diagnosis done in a single test run.

Upcoming Tasks:

Debugging some AV's (crashes) in the game.
Fixing turn transitions in the high level AI. The high level AI does not seem to properly recognize reinforcements coming on to the board.
Showing limited NME information in the Unit Info dialog where limited intel rules permit.
Integration of my baseline with Chris'. Chris has the low level AI and the code that plots attacks and postures.
Tuning of the AI.
Lots and lots of testing!

Tuesday, February 17, 2004

Game Dev Status - Feburary Mid-month

I have 15 hours in so far this month. I'm making good progress in working on making this a playable game. Been doing a lot of debugging and playtesting of the AI.

I have been working on turn transitions that last couple of evenings. The AI game now transitions from turn to turn without the AI thread running off into the wild blue yonder. Command points are properly calculated now on the second and subsequent turns.

Sunday, February 01, 2004

Game Development Status

January Recap

Total time 16 hours 35 minutes.

I completed the redesign of the Command Point allocation code. Spent some time working bugs that appeared during the smoke test for the CP code mods...I fixed problems in which the exec was assigning CPs to all AI commands present on the board and in which the synchronization code was blowing away part of the AI game when the game was reloaded from a save file.

Chris spent some time out of the country and got a significant promotion on his day job. I converted over to being a morning person, with some attendant sleep cycle problems. The upshot of all this is that we still don't have an integration build, and therefore don't have a beta. I would guess we are looking at 1 March at the earliest.

It's just as well. I am working on some issues with turn transitions in the AI, and I still need to write the Imperial division-echelon high level AI.

Sigh. If it was easy anyone could do it.