Tuesday, February 28, 2006

ADC2 Quatre Bras 2 Art Evaluation

I received the QB ADC2 module yesterday and took a quick look at the countermix and high-definition maps. Wow! Terry Leeds really knows his stuff.

My first impression is that we will be able to make use of such art in PC Eylau. I will perform a few tests in the next couple of weeks:

1. I will convert a unit bitmap of Terry's so that it can appear in PC Eylau. This will involve scaling down, then rotating the unit bitmap every 30 degrees in a full circle and embedding the resulting unit images in a bitmap with a transparent background. I'll add the resulting bitmap to the game with a Debug menu command to display it. I'll post a picture or two when I'm done. This will allow the test group and the CSW-ers to see how that might look.

2. I will find out what it takes to import the high-res QB2 map into PC Eylau. I will need to identify and isolate/refactor all code pertaining to map and hex dimensions in order to make this happen. I also might have to restore map scaling (zoom in/out) functionality in order to make the game workable with those large hexes on the QB2 board.

I'm excited about this. This is very cool artwork.

I asked Charlie what would it take to have Terry do similar artwork for Eylau, and at what point in the development cycle we should pursue that? (I guess he will want to hold off giving Terry a green light until the AI has a higher IQ than a chimpanzee.)

vive l'E!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home